Monday, August 28, 2023

A little catch up

 Afternoon blogland

This post is mostly about TTT and her GCSE results, but somewhat about cards!

So if we do the cards first - as that's what I'm guessing most of you are here for.  I made this card - ooooh last year now! - for the daughter of someone I follow on Instagram.  She'd said her daughter would love some birthday cards and asked if anyone would like to send one.  I was one of quite a few carders who said yes and the card then went half the way around the world - to Australia.

I'm planning to get back into regularly making cards soon. Hopefully this is the last 'from the vaults' for now.

Card:


 Supplies used:

Digital stamp:
Saturated Canary - Dressed Up
coloured with my Copics

Rubber stamp:
Catherine Pooler - All Around Wishes

Dies:
Pretty Pink Posh - Scallop Borders 1
Creative Expressions - Double Stitched Squares
Time for Tea - Dream Big

Paper:
First Edition - New Bloom

Anything else:
Flat backed gems
glitter (which I appear to have lost the pot of and can't remember it's name!)

What you can't see from the picture is that the paper has a lovely glitter to it as well, I thought would really complement the glitter I added to the dress.  Wish I could find that damn pot of glitter - it was really pretty!  Currently though it looks like the glitter fairy ate it!!



Now - moving onto to TTT.  Well she did good in her GCSE's - she took 12 subjects / exams in total and got a 9 for Maths, 8 for Computer Science and a raft of 7s for most other subjects.  We'll accept the couple of 6s and gloss over the Religious Studies grade :-)  This means that she will be going to 6th Form at the Grammar she's been at since leaving Primary.  

The trouble we've been having is she wanted to do French and English Language (some of her grade 7s) but school dropped those subjects as financially un-viable to run due to not enough student interest / numbers.  It caused a lot of upset at the time - we even went so far as to look at other 6th Forms and, as we live 45 mins drive from the nearest, a lot of soul searching and serious debate ensued.

When the final list of subjects 'our' 6th Form were going to offer came out, the consensus was that a 45 min to 1hour drive every day to a different town / school just wouldn't work.  The final decision was made when she went to 'our' schools' Induction Day. She could still do Maths and Computer Science (subjects she was never going to compromise on) and tried Psychology and Sociology as 'tasters' instead of French and English Lang.  Luckily she really enjoyed both of those subjects and so the final decision was made! 

She's going to 6th Form in September to study; A level Maths; Computer Science; Psychology and Sociology.


My goodness - those are some subjects to pick! Personally I think she's going to love picking over people's brains - she already tries it with me and her dad!

Onwards and upwards - we are now looking forward to the 6th September with great interest! 

It also feels a bit like I've just written my novel - so I'm going to scoot now and get on with actually making some cards, or some housework, or some washing, or some cooking, or maybe even just relax with music and a book - who knows!

I hope everyone else is doing well - I do hope those of you with kids / grandkids going through the same as our TTT are coming happily out the other side of it.

See you soon,
Sarah

Challenge/s:

Passion for Markers: Week 704 - Embellish it - I do hope it's enough embellishments to qualify?  I'm not so into heavy embellishments anymore, this is about my limit (well generally anyway, unless I feel in a super 'go for it' mood!)

Polkadoodles Challenge: Wk 33 - Anything Goes

Inkspirational Challenges: #297 - Word Prompt : Clothing/Closet.  I hope the sparkly dress qualifies?  No problems if not.





5 comments:

  1. A beautiful card Sarah and huge congrats to your daughter, she did brilliantly , you must be very proud of her. I hope she enjoys 6th form . I'm pleased and proud to say that my granddaughter did extremely well too and is all set to do her chosen course - 6th form but at a different school. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous card Sarah, such a lovely design. Congratulations to TTT, you can breathe a sigh of relief for a while!! Serious A' level choices. Our youngest did Maths at A' level, one of those freaky people that does complicated sums for fun...he's an Accountant now!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous image and love the glitter-always handy to have some cards in a draft file for when you need one.Congratulations and well done to TTT.App Grandaughter passed what she needed and did well in the rest?
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely card, so pretty, thanks for playing at MTTC challenge,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful card! I'm sure the recipient loved it very much -who wouldn't want to wear a dress like that on a birthday! Love the sparkles and big sentiment. Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I'm glad you found me and thank you for leaving a comment, it is very kind of you! Sarah